The Tommy Fotheringham Memorial Endowed Scholarship
The purpose of this endowment is to provide financial assistance to students who have overcome significant obstacles to pursue their education and to honor Tommy’s commitment to foster tolerance.
- Demonstrate financial need
- Have overcome obstacles in order to pursue their educational goals
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA as a Seattle Central College student (completed at least one quarter at Central)
- Plan to attend Seattle Central full time (12 or more credits for 3 quarters) for the academic year the award is granted
- Demonstrates an interest in fostering LGBTQI tolerance
- Fotheringham Family
- Supplemental Questions
- The Tommy Fotheringham Memorial Endowed scholarship honors former Seattle Central student Tommy Fotheringham, whose life was cut short by a tragic accident during a study abroad experience in Osaka, Japan in 2016. Tommy appreciated the diversity of races, ages, genders and socio-economic backgrounds at Seattle Central and the Capitol Hill neighborhood. He deplored intolerance and served on the college’s Queer Straight Alliance, working to foster meaningful change for the LGBTQI community as a straight ally. To honor Tommy’s commitment to the LGBTQI movement, this scholarship will be awarded to a student who is an advocate for and/or identifies with the LGBTQI community. Please write a short paragraph that describes your connection to the LGBTQI community, and the efforts you have been involved in to advocate for LGBTQI rights.